Tuesday 27 March 2012

Task 5a: Ethics Applying to my Workplace

For this task I decided to run though the process of teaching a class from beginning to end, picking up on each "unwritten" ethical rule that I abide by as I go.

Preparation:
Before each class I teach I ensure that the class is properly planned in terms of structure, in order to ensure that the class runs smoothly. This includes:
  • A list of class content and song choices.
  • Usually a pre-choreographed routine. 
  • Making sure I am presented in a professional and smart manner in order to maintain a level of professionalism.

Upon Arrival:
I always arrive at least 15 minutes before a class in order to:
  • Clear the room of any obstacles or obstructions, ensure all the required light are on and the room is the correct temperature.
  • Arrange my music, notes and register so that I can begin as soon as I can.
  • To make sure I am in the room before anybody arrives as this appears much more professional
During the class:
  • If there are any new students I ensure the parent signs a small disclaimer acknowledging that it is their responsibility to ensure the child is dressed appropriately, and that during the course of a dance class some student/teacher contact may be required and that it will always be carried out in a professional manner. (I feel as a male dance teacher this is particularly important) 
  • I carry out a thorough warm up making sure my students are participating fully, as it is my responsibility to ensure they are properly prepared for dancing.
  • I aim to give equal attention to each student. They are all paying the same amount of money and therefore it would be wrong to focus more on the struggling students, or more on the ones excelling.
After class:
  • As much as possible I make myself available to parents if they wish to discuss anything related to the class of their child.
  • I maintain a professional manner until I have left the building.
Its interesting looking at what I've written, as I started to consider where I have picked up these codes of conduct/unwritten guidelines. I've never been taught them directly, therefore I must assume that I have picked them up from teachers that have taught me in the past, or simply instinctively known what is right and wrong.

Is working on ethical instincts alone enough? As I only teach free classes (no examination bodies or syllabus involved), my own personal and professional ethics are the only ones I've ever followed. Is this something I should remedy, and if so, what organisational ethical guidelines should I follow? And would they even differ that much from my own Personal/Professional ethics?

2 comments:

Lizzie Wright said...

Hi Liam

I know what you mean about how you picked up the codes and ethics you follow. I think especially in this industry whether it be performance or teaching based, there are so many unwritten ethics and rules that are adhered to. Your post made me reflect on my training at college; clapping the teacher and pianist at the end of a class, staying in the room after class and practicing until the teacher had left, never sitting down in a rehearsal, etc .... there are so many rules that we followed - none of which were written codes or rules we had been taught - like you said I think a lot of it is instinct, intitative and being very observant of the goings-on around you (all things we as dancers and dance teachers encompass!)

Corinda said...

Hi Liam
sounds as if you are conducting yourself in a 'professional' manner as a teacher of dance particularly as you mentioning the sense of responsibility.
I see it as being responsible for the students bodies as they have not had the strict disciplined dance training we have. We understand the physiology and anatomy of a developing student and adult.
Here is a link to the Code of practice for teachers of dance which is a good basic guide to compare your ethics with
http://www.cdet.org.uk/teaching-and-qualifications/code-of-conduct

I always ask if any one has injuries if adults. Children soon let you know don't they.

Post a Comment